The Future of Money: Intro to Bitcoin
A revolutionary new approach to money is in place: Bitcoin, a virtual currency. Started in 2009, the Bitcoin currency is not regulated by any central authority; instead it is run as an open-source network of peers, meaning it cannot be manipulated by government. The Economist published a thorough report in June 2011 explaining exactly how Bitcoin operates, enabling the instant purchase of real goods without being pegged to any “real” currency.
TechCrunch has been covering the Bitcoin phenomenon over the past year, following the progress of and challenges facing the project. Fred Wilson, a well-known venture capitalist, recently claimed that “social upheaval” is the next-big-thing coming to the internet, citing Bitcoin as an example of this. Meanwhile critics like blogger Jason Calcasis call this project “dangerous”, warning of the potential of peer-to-peer currency to destabilize economies and encourage contraband.
The Bitcoin 2.X model is aimed to solve the problems facing Bitcoin. The 2.X version would allow for a division in values between various extensions of Bitcoin currency. This would utilize the novel technology in place but permit the separated currencies to have a more stable value, and allow multiple communities to use the existing infrastructure. This would likely bring many more users to the network.
About Yoni AssiaFounder and CEO of Etoro.com
- Start-up Course Web2.0…There Once Was a World Without Web.
- Get Married in Delaware- Startup Course Thiel’s Law and Follow the Money
- Financial Regulation 2.0 – Great Thought Leadership
- The Official Agreement for a Financial Assistance to the Republic of Cyprus
- Could MIT Research on Sustainable Trading Advance the End of Poverty?
About The Author
Yoni Assia is the co-founder and CEO of eToro.com
- The Social IPO and why you are going to buy facebook shares on facebok very soon April 21, 2012
- Startup course – Peter Thiel’s “The Last Class You’ll Ever Have to Take” July 4, 2012
- eToro – Be All You Can Be May 9, 2012
- The similarities between Tony Soprano and Facebook Feed February 27, 2012
- Why I Won’t Stop Blogging Any Time Soon March 29, 2012
- Start-up Course Web2.0…There Once Was a World Without Web. June 4, 2013
- Gone in 60 Seconds, Startup Course- The Pitch, May 19, 2013
- Startup Class 5 – The Mechanics of the Mafia April 26, 2013
- Get Married in Delaware- Startup Course Thiel’s Law and Follow the Money April 24, 2013
- Growth Hacking – Why Geeks are the Salesmen of the 21st century…Startup Class – If You Build It, Will They Come? April 21, 2013
- eToro Hosts First Israeli Bitcoin Hackathon: [...] it will be hosted by social trading broker e...
- MasterCoin Proposal to Make Bitcoin More Feature Rich | unSpy: [...] and place faith in the centrally managed sys...
- Start-up Course Web2.0...There Once Was a World Without Web. - Yoni Assia: [...] cars nor that Better Place’s product is us...
- Online casino: Aussie online casinos... Top 10 online Aussie cas...
- Gone in 60 Seconds, Startup Course- The Pitch, - Yoni Assia: [...] we mentioned in previous blogs a great idea ...
Follow @yoniassia on Twitter