The Social Boom – Google advertising on LinkedIn, Facebook advertising on Google
I was really surprised to see both Google and Facebook in user acquisition mode, buying media to get users to open a free email account, and simply going to Facebook ?
I don’t know if this is due to Zuckerberg kicks off Facebook road show but seeing Facebook ads all over the internet is simply weird.
I really doubt there is an ROI model there, where Facebook actually calculates the value of each user coming from acquisition (yearly revenues from ads) and the cost of the ads, and optimizes based on that, it seems more like brute force “lets bring more users”.
The same goes for Google spending on Linkedin to bring more users from LinkedIn to use its email or sites services ? ROI ? I don’t think so, so if not ROI, why are the different social network willing to buy ads on one another to increase users ? branding ? I doubt any of these companies need any branding effect coming from any type of online marketing.
So if you don’t spend money on advertising to generate profits (ROI in user acquisition), and not to create brand awareness, then why ? Maybe they are simply pumping users and each others revenues, maybe Facebook spending on Google, and Google on LinkedIn is simply a way for them to increase prices by creating more users and less ad space .
I don’t think we are in a bubble (yet), unlike experts who see parallels between dot com social media bubbles, but if we keep seeing advertising for services from the companies who sell advertising then we are sure in our way to one.
Google Advertising on LinkedIn
Facebook advertising on Google :
About Yoni AssiaFounder and CEO of Etoro.com
- Great 2013! Now onto 2014…
- eToro meets David Cameron, the British Prime Minister via Future Fifty
- Start-up Course: Back to the Future- Changing the world today and tomorrow
- Start-up Course Web2.0…There Once Was a World Without Web.
- Fucking Valuations- Out With the Old in With the New… Startups course class 3
About The Author
Yoni Assia is the co-founder and CEO of eToro.com
- Startup course – Peter Thiel’s “The Last Class You’ll Ever Have to Take” July 4, 2012
- Startup and Management 2.0 – Party Like It’s 1999? Learn to Dream and Disrupt September 23, 2012
- #osaka #Japan October 30, 2012
- Dinner in a box on the train to #Tokyo October 31, 2012
- Why The Future Of Money Is In Japan November 4, 2012
- London Wants to be the Fintech Capital of the World September 21, 2014
- The Startup nation’s digital finance revolution September 15, 2014
- Snapchat worth 10 Billion USD … I thought it was crazy at 3. September 1, 2014
- Moonshots in Faraway Places: Why Eric Schmidt called me an idiot June 24, 2014
- The Virtual Social Network June 6, 2014
Follow @yoniassia on Twitter
- September 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- February 2014
- December 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- April 2011
- March 2011
- November 2010
- April 2010
- November 2008